Who We Are
Temple B’nai Shalom (TBS) is a vibrant, caring, and progressive Reform congregation established in 1986 in the woods of Fairfax Station to serve the needs of a growing Jewish community in Northern Virginia. Our core values as a congregation are summarized in our Mission Statement:
To care for one another and the world around us
Embodied in our mission is our dedication to creating and maintaining a sense of community and to providing a variety of Jewish spiritual, social, and educational experiences for both adults and children. We emphasize social action, outreach, helping the needy, and Torah study for adults as well as children, and tikkun olam — making the world a better place for everyone. We are proud to be affiliated with the Union for Reform Judaism, the governing body of the 900 Reform Jewish congregations in North America.
Our congregation welcomes individuals and families from a variety of backgrounds. Young, old, single, partnered, married, divorced, and people with special needs have found a home with us. Our synagogue is a house of worship for all people, including Jewish members and their non-Jewish spouses and partners who share a commitment to Reform Judaism. Our teenagers are an especially close group that continues to learn and teach at the Temple until they graduate from high school and then many return for services when they are home for holidays.
Here are some things we think make TBS special:
Our Rabbis provide us with a variety of worship experiences to meet members’ spiritual needs:
- 8:00 pm Friday night Shabbat service, including a monthly Family Service and many special musical services
- Tot Shabbat, a monthly Friday night additional service for our youngest worshippers and their families
- 8:45 am Saturday morning “Minyan Makers,” an intimate worship service (usually 20-25 people) that includes breakfast at 8:15 am and Torah study
- 10:00 am Saturday Bar Mitzvah and Bat Mitzvah services
- Several special Saturday night Havdallah services throughout the year
Religious and Hebrew School and Youth Groups
- Sunday religious school Pre-K through 12th Grade, including Bar/Bat Mitzvah class, and Confirmation and Post-Confirmation classes taught by our Senior Rabbi
- Tuesday evening Hebrew School 4th Grade through 7th Grade
- Youth Groups for 5th through 12th Grade Members
Adult Education and Social Organizations
- Life-long learning throughout the year, including opportunities for beginning and conversational Hebrew, adult B’nai Mitzvahs, and special programs to learn about Judaism, its history, customs, and music.
- Active Retirees programs, often in coordination with the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia (JCCNV)
- Support for our members through affiliation and liaison with the Jewish Social Service Agency (JSSA)
- An active TBS interfaith social organization
- Sisterhood and Brotherhood
- A strong Social Action Committee, including support for our local food banks
In addition to worshipping and learning, we also hold many social programs throughout the year, giving our members and their families a chance to get to know each other better.
The way the TBS community reaches out to members in need of healing and comfort, including our Caring Community that provides meals and transportation to members suffering from an illness or accident and our Bereavement Committee that supports members grieving a loss by providing chairs and prayer books for shiva minyans and offering comfort.
The way our members engage in social action and the work of repairing the world in which we live and feel the responsibility to give back.
But really, why TBS?
To truly answer that question, you should speak with our members. Become familiar with us by further perusing this website, reading our monthly news bulletin, attending services (and socializing after services over challah, cookies, and fruit – known as the “oneg”), or by participating in one of our many events some of which are specifically for individuals or families who are considering membership. We invite you to be a part of our Temple family. For information or a membership packet, please call us at (703) 764-2901 or contact us.